What will be set?
For students to be able to select, organise and deploy a wide range of knowledge effectively Independent Study will be developed so that it is purposely and deliberately constructed. It will focus on supporting and developing long term memory and ensuring students recover academically from the long term absence due to Covid-19.
Independent Study will be recorded on Satchel One (Show My Homework) and available on the website for the entire half term.
Year 7 - 9
- At least half an hour reading each night: Students will read their own book for half an hour each day
- Students will spend 30 minutes working with the subject knowledge organiser every week for each
- In Mathematics 1 hour a week will be set using Hegarty Maths. this can be spread over one session or divided into smaller bite size chunks.
- An Independent study programme will be set by each subject which will guide the students to complete one further activity per week. This may include SENECA Learning, Watching a Loom, reading, GEM task preparation, OAK National Academy or completing SLOP booklets. Each subject should set between 30 and 60 minutes per week.
Year 10 and 11
- At least half an hour reading each night. Students should read their English set text where appropriate, novels, academic journals or broadsheet newspapers.
- Students will spend at least 45 minutes working with the subject knowledge organiser every week for each subject.
- In Mathematics home learning will be set using Hegerty Maths an online portal; a guided learning time of two hours is advised.
- An Independent study programme will be set by each subject which will guide the students to complete one further activity per week. This may include SENECA Learning, Watching a Loom, reading, GEM task preparation, OAK National Academy or completing SLOP booklets. Each subject should set 45 - 60 minutes per week.
Please click on the expandable sections below to access information about Independent Study & Knowledge Organisers.
Please click on the links below for the Independent Study for each subject and year group for Autumn half term.
Independent Study during learning online for KS4
'How to' Guides
Introducing Seneca - the funniest way to learn at KS2, KS3, GCSE & A Level
Why are we using Knowledge Organisers?
- The GCSE and BTEC courses have changed to focus on the retrieval of knowledge.
- Students need to know specific dates, key words and formula.
- By learning the key facts from as early as Year 7 the knowledge is becoming part of our students’ long term memory which will support them in reaching their potential in exams.
- The knowledge organisers contain core knowledge which is essential for progress in each subject area.
- Students are required to learn prescribed parts of the knowledge organiser each week; these will be formally quizzed in the following lesson.
How do I use a knowledge organiser?
- Each knowledge organiser has the key facts for the topic you are learning
- You will have specific homework set around each area of the knowledge organiser
- You need to memorise the content of the knowledge organiser before you are quizzed in class
- Use the look, and cover, and say, and write, and check method to learn the information.
Autumn 2021 Knowledge Organisers
Please click on the links below for the Knowledge Organisers for each year group for Autumn 2021.