Welcome to the Languages Department at Chiswick School. The Languages Department aims to provide a challenging, supportive, exciting and interesting curriculum for pupils of all abilities. We are a dedicated team, committed to helping students meet and exceed their targets.
Literacy is at the very heart of language learning, and all students are expected to work on acquiring and broadening their vocabulary on a regular basis. We have lots of tools to help them do this, such as online resources and knowledge organisers. The teacher will highlight these, as well as teaching new techniques to embed and broaden vocabulary. Time spent looking at phonics in lessons also supports this, as well as improving students’ pronunciation and confidence in the target language.
Our ambitious curriculum provides for clear grammatical progression, and we have dedicated foreign language assistants, who work with students to improve their confidence in speaking. Having learned the key skills to learning a language at Key Stage 3, nearly all of our students will continue with at least one foreign language for GCSE, with some taking two.
The linguistic content is enhanced by exploration of the cultures of the countries where the target language is spoken. This investment in the cultural capital of each student is complemented by the range of trips and visits we organise. These include:
- Year 8 Germany trip to the Rhineland
- Year 8 France trip to Paris and Amiens
- Y9/10 Spain trip
- Y9/10 Latin trip to Rome and Pompeii
- Martin Walsh (Curriculum Team Leader)
- Natasha Kelly (Joint Deputy Curriculum Team Leader)
- Kim Murray (Joint Deputy Curriculum Team Leader)
- Ms Elle Davies (German and French teacher)
- Dr. Carmela Franco (Latin and Classical Civilisation teacher)
- Ella Whitaker (French and German teacher)