Citizenship and PSHE
Welcome to the Citizenship and Personal Social and Health Education (PSHCE) department of Chiswick Community School. The school is committed to ensuring that all our students benefit from a programme that will help them develop the knowledge, understanding and skills they need to manage their lives, and to understand how they can actively participate in society both now and in the future.
Mr Alex Parsons-Moore (Subject Leader)
Mr Mick O’Neil
Mr Adam Hudson
At Key Stage 3, students will study a wide and varied range of topics from legal and human rights to crime and its consequences. In PSHE, the focus is on student’s personal development, with lessons on developing a healthy lifestyle, personal finance and careers education.
In year 7, PSHCE is incorporated within the Opening Minds programme.
At Key Stage 4, students will be undertaking a short course GCSE in Citizenship Studies. The course examines three areas:
Rights and responsibilities
Power, politics and the media
The global community
The structure of the GCSE allows students to undertake a Citizenship project of their choice, which together with a controlled assessment, is worth up to 60% of their GCSE; the remaining 40% coming from a short examination at the end of year 11. Last year’s results (the first year the course was run) were excellent, with 68% of our students receiving an A* to C grade, this compares to a national average of 58%.
We hope that this short introduction provides a useful insight into the PSHCE department, but should you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to con tact the subject leader – APM@chiswickschool.org
Head of Subject: Mr A Parsons-Moore